BANANA RYE FLOUR MUFFINS
If there is one thing that I love doing in the kitchen, it’s baking. Don’t get me wrong, I love eating to, but I love baking more than anything else. I think that ever since I was a little girl I liked it, I cook since I was 8. At first frying or boiling an egg, was cooking for me. Than I fell in love with making Italian Tomato sauce, I mean I was ten, I don’t know any kid that doesn’t like pasta or pizza, and learning how to make the perfect sauce was a big achievement for ten year old me. I even remember that my mom bought me a cake recipe book, and there was one cake that I made whenever a family member had a birthday. Hell! I even decorated it with chocolate ganache and sprinkles!
Than, during my teen years I learned that eating carbs, is not the best thing for your weight. Thinking about it, when your in your teens, and in a dance company (what do you know, yes I was a ballerina), eating anything is not very good for your weight, ha ha. So I stopped cooking, and concentrated on cutting. That’s right, I cut vegetables all the way to my first year in the university. That year was my first year living alone, and there was no more nasty ballet teachers. So, again I had to figure out how to feed my self….. not an easy task. And than I started cooking, not the most fancy meals, I mean I still had to watch my figure, and I had tons of school and parting to do. As the years went by, I moved to a (slightly) bigger apartments, with a real oven, and discovered the magic of baking. I also started and finished nutrition school. So, I learned a few tricks (still learning) bake a little healthier. I have made it one of my missions to bake healthy, tasty and very low calorie pastries.
Taking all that and mixing it with the blizzard raging outside, I decided to bake this great banana rye flour muffins. And yes, they’re not that low on carbs, but with less than 160 calories for each, I think anyone (even on a diet) can enjoy them.
- 1½ cups rye flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nut meg
- pinch of coarse sea salt
- 1 mashed ripe banana
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (or one glass of soy milk+ 2 tbsp of vinegar)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- reheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Spry a muffin pan with oil.
- Sift the flour and mix all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave for a half a minute or until completely melted.
- Crack the eggs in a separate bowl and beat them for about a minute. Then add coconut oil, mushed banana and and vanilla extract while constantly stirring.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture.
- With a spatula carefully fold everything until combined.
- Divide the batter into the muffin tins and top with some rolled oats.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- Best enjoyed still warm from the oven.