What is a girl to do, when her husband announces he forgot to tell her “some friends are popping over for coffee in a half an hour” oh “and one of them is on a gluten-free diet”? A smart girl will run to the kitchen and make these fabulous easy dairy free gluten free coconut macaroons. Thinking about it, a smart girl would probably put on her ugg’s and run to the nearest store. But I have a reputation to keep. I can not, and frankly, would not serve store bought cookies.So, I stayed in PJ’s and headed to the kitchen to make delicious coconut macaroons. Making these coconut macaroons is so easy! All you need is to whisk egg whites, add in sugar, and fold in the flaked coconut. Couldn’t think of an easier cookie recipe, really.What makes these macaroons even better is they are gluten-free and dairy-free. So, they are perfect for lactose intolerant, celiac, and whoever keeps a gluten-free diet (god only knows why one would do that to himself).
- 2 large egg whites
- ¼ cup sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1½ (5.3 oz/150 gr) flaked coconut
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg whites, and salt till frothy, gradually add sugar and vanilla. Keep whisking until the egg whites hold stiff peaks.
- Fold in the flaked coconut, mix until fully incorporated.
- Scoop golf ball sized of coconut mixture, and place about one inch apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until outsides are a light golden brown color.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes on baking sheet then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 sec intervals.
- Dip bottoms of cooled macaroons into melted chocolate and transfer to parchment paper to set. Drizzle any remaining chocolate over macaroons if desired.
Did You Make These Easy Dairy free Gluten free Coconut Macaroons?
Don’t forget to take a snap and tag #netacooks on Instagram, so I can see them.