With Hanukkah coming up in two days, you would expect a traditional Sufganiyot (the Jewish doughnuts) will have a place of honor on the blog. The thing is I really can’t stand deep fried food. It’s not about the calories or the huge amounts of fat, it’s just (and I know I sound a million years old) it gives me heartburn.Tradition is tradition, and I couldn’t let Hanukkah pass with not even one holiday recipe. So this year I made these delicious, healthy, and baked doughnuts. I love it when I can just take a recipe and fix it up to my taste, especially if it becomes healthier.The dough is made with yeast, that is you will have to knead it for a good 8-10 minutes. Again I’m not that crazy about doughnuts, but when I gave it a test bit it was delicious, and definitely worth the effort of kneading.If you do care about the calories bare in mind that these babies have only 99 calories per doughnut, without the filling of course. I wish everybody a very happy holiday. These baked whole wheat doughnuts are perfect for an healthy holiday. I know I’ll be making them again!
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup (50 gr/1.7 oz) sugar
- 1 cup lukewarm water (110°F/43°C)
- 2 tsp active yeast
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 260 gr/9.2 oz plain white flour
- 300 gr/10.5 oz whole wheat flour
- 120 gr/ 4.2 oz coconut oil, melted
- Orange zest of half an orange
- Place yeast, lukewarm water, and 1 teaspoon sugar in a small bowl. Set aside until foamy.
- Mix together plain flour, whole wheat flour and salt. Set aside.
- Beat egg, vanilla extract, and orange zest into the yeast mixture.
- Add half the flour mixture, stir together with a fork. Add melted coconut oil, keep stirring.
- Add the remaining flour mixture, stir dough until it starts to come together. Flour a work surface and knead until dough is smooth, soft, about 8-10 minutes (add more flour if necessary). Place in a lightly oiled bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Set in a warm place to rise until doubled, about 1½ hours.
- Roll dough(no need to flour work surface) to ¼ inch/1/2 cm thickness. Using a 2 inch/5 cm round cutter, cut 33 rounds. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C. Brush doughnuts with oil, bake for 8-10 min or until golden brown. When taking the doughnuts out of the oven immediately brush with another coat of oil.
- Fill doughnuts with jelly, and sprinkle with confectioners sugar before serving.
DID YOU MAKE THIS Baked Whole Wheat Jelly Doughnut or Sufganiyot Recipe?
Don’t forget to take a snap and tag #netacooks on instagram, so I can see them.