I just love baking shortbread cookies! They’re so easy and quick to make, the only long and important part of baking shortbread cookies is the chilling’ make sure you chill the cookie dough well before rolling it out and cutting the cookies. These cookies are a no-brainer, even to a beginner baker.One of my favorite things about the shortbread recipe is that you can mix up the flavors really easy. You can add all kind of nuts, in this specific recipe I used pecans, you can add spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger or anything else you like. The cookies are kinda flaky but not crumbly and they melt in your mouth due to the buttery dough. These cookies are perfect for the holidays, and you can even gift them as DIY Christmas gift.
- ½ cup raw pecan nuts
- 3.5 oz/100 gr butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F/177°C.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; spread raw pecans on baking sheet. Bake for 5-8 min, until pecans are toasted.
- Remove from oven and let chill completely before you place the pecan in a food processor and pulse until pecans are completely grounded.
- Using a hand mixer cream together the butter and sugar, until well mixed.
- In a separate bowl mix flour and salt; Add to the butter mixture and mix until fully incorporated.
- Add the grounded pecans, mix well and form into a bowl.
- Rab the bowl in a plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 min.
- Preheat the oven to 320°F/160°C.
- Remove dough from fridge and place on a lightly floured surface. Using a rolling pin roll dough out to a ¼ inch (1/8 cm) thick sphere.
- Use a 2.5 inch (5.5 cm) diameter cookie cutter to cut out cookies. keep rolling out excess dough and cut out cookies. You should have 24 cookies.
- Place cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 8-10 min or until cookies are golden brown.
- Let cool completely before serving.
If you try this pecan shortbread cookie recipe, let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and don’t forget to snap a pic and tag it #netacooks on instagram! Seeing your creations makes my day ♥