After finding the perfect pie crust recipe, it was only a matter of time till I’ll go nuts and start baking more and more pies. And this week with a wonderfully fluffy filling of peanut butter.I love peanut butter, if it wasn’t one of the most fattiest ever, I would eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I know that if I even make the mistake and buy a jar home, it will vanish within less than a day. Seriously, this is one of my weak spots. And since I already ad it at home (at the back of the kitchen cabinet, not very well hiding), I decided to go completely nuts and bake a dangerously delicious peanut butter pie.The basic of every good pie is a good crunchy crust, I already had the great crust recipe, fro last week, so making a sort of meringue for the filling was “as easy as pie” 🙂 And this pie is so easy and simple to make, that you can just whip it up in a few moments.
I used the crust from this recipe. It yields 2 9” pies.
- 5 large egg whites
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup white sugar
- 3 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- Sliced pecans for decorations
- Prepare the pie dough as described in the recipe, and put in the freezer.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Take the dough out of the fridge, and leave the pie dough in room temp for a few minutes before rolling.
- Roll out one piece of the dough into a large circle on a lightly floured surface, about ⅛ - ¼ inch (3-5 mm) thick. Make sure to roll and turn the dough so it doesn't stick to the surface. Transfer to a 9 inch pie pan. Trim excess dough, leaving a 1 inch overhang.
- Put pie in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- To make the filling, place egg whites and salt in a large bowl and whisk together with a hand mixer. When white pikes start to form, add in the sugar gradually, and keep whisking till you get a firm meringue.
- Lower whisking speed and add in the peanut butter keep whisking till fully corporate.
- Remove the pie crust from the freezer and fill with meringue.
- You can decorate with pecans in the center of each pie, and brush the edges it with coconut cream and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place the pie in the oven, on a large baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes at 200°C (400°F), then lower the temperature to 175°C (350°F). Bake until the edges are golden brown and filling firm and steady, about an additional 35-45 minutes.
- Let cool completely before serving.